Tuesday 22 July 2014

Piercings #1

So I am hoping to try and do a different piercing each week. Focusing on the procedure, after-care and other bits and bobs that come with having piercings. I will be first focusing on ones I myself have (or have had in the past) before moving on to one's I do not currently own. So lets begin with the simplest one.


Piercings #1
Earlobes

Now these in my eyes are the most basic piercings and most people get these done at a very young age. There are different types of jewellery for ear lobe piercings but it's usually pierced with a stud using a piercing gun. The piercings come in a pre-packaged container and I believe are sterilised in this container before being slotted into the piercing gun and then put in the ears.

After-care & Healing

Normal lobe piercings take 6-8 weeks to heal. During this time the best thing to use on your new piercing is just good old salt water. The salt in the salt water will draw out the impurities in the piercing (any bits of dirt, germs, ect) which promotes the healing of the open wound. It does scab over a little bit but this is due to dead white blood cells (sounds lovely doesn't it?) but it is perfectly normal. The white blood cells are there trying to fight the new object you've put in your body as the body doesn't recognise it. Cleaning with salt water twice a day allows to gently remove the scabs that form but do not by any means pick at them or try to remove them with force. This can cause irritation to the piercing and can promote an infection to take place. When cleaning your piercings, the best thing I have found to use is q-tips which have been soaked in the salt water. Make sure to wash your hands before and after cleaning your ears.

Does it hurt?

Yes as either way, it's a foreign object going into a piece of flesh. I will always say this. Though the pain, isn't that bad in my eyes. I would probably rate it a 3-4/10 (a little like stubbing your toe). It does throb a lot after having it but that's normal, its just your body reacting to something new. The pain for me lasted a few days before subsiding but sleeping can be a little uncomfortable with them for the first few days.


No comments:

Post a Comment